WELCOME!

Welcome to my blog! This blog is dedicated to sharing my thoughts and exciting events in my life. My goal is to encourage whoever may wish to read it. No matter how you enter, I hope you leave with a smile! =)

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fruit of the Spirit #5- Gentleness


Galatians 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.



The fifth fruit of the spirit is Gentleness.



Gentleness- Softness of manners; mildness of temper; sweetness of disposition; meekness. Kindness; benevolence.



Gentleness is sometimes very difficult for me. Well, very often... Gentleness is almost exactly parallel with patience, which I have practically absolutely none of. Gentleness is not weakness. Harshness would be the opposite of gentleness. A gentle person would not want to argue with people but a harsh person does.



2 Timothy 2:24

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,



Titus 3:1-2

Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.



In these passages, Meekness is used in the same context with Gentleness. 



Meekness- Softness of temper; mildness; gentleness; forbearance under injuries and provocations.



As you can see, the definitions are about the same. In Christ’s sermon on the mount, he blesses those who are meek.



Matthew 5:5

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.



This is an area I really struggle with. I tend to be harsh and impatient more often than not. Recently, my family watched a sermon by Dr. S. M. Davis, pastor of Park Meadows Baptist Church in Illinois, titled “Accountability” and I have purposed to work on my tone of voice and have asked my sister to hold me accountable.



I keep reminding myself that with God’s help, It is possible to overcome our faults!

Mark 10:27

And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: FOR WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment